- University of Pittsburgh School of Law
J.D. awarded 1973
- University of Pittsburgh
B.A. awarded 1970 in English
- Thomas Jefferson High School
Graduated in 1966
- Partner - Fried, Kane, Walters, Zuschlag & Grochmal - trial level and appellate litigation of Workers' Compensation and Federal Black Lung cases since July, 1988.
- United Mine Workers Association, District #4 - Represented District #4 in Workers' Compensation, Occupation Disease, and Federal Black Lung Cases, out of Masontown, Pennsylvania, while maintaining an office in Pittsburgh for the general practice of law, handling Chapter 7 bankruptcies, incorporations, estate planning and probate work, domestic relations matters, real estate transfers, personal injury, Workers' Compensation, Occupational Disease, and Federal Black Lung cases, 1986 to 1988.
- Law clerk - Pennsylvania Superior Court Judges Robert Van der Voort, John Hester, and John Brosky. Responsible for extensive research and writing. Worked during part of this time as a staff attorney for the Pennsylvania Superior Court Central Legal Staff, preparing orders on motions, and screening appeals for timeliness, 1974 - 1986.
- Extensive experience litigating Workers' Compensation, Occupational Disease, and Federal Black Lung cases at trial and appellate court levels.
- Successfully litigated various Commonwealth Court cases, including Unity Auto Parts, Inc. v. Workmen's Compensation Appeal Board (Bigley), 610A.2d 1071 (Pa. Commw. 1991), a Workers' Compensation case with medical liability over one million ($1,000,000.00) dollars, and Kurtiak v. Workmen's Compensation Appeal Board, 635 A.2d 732 (Pa. Commw. 1993), which decided that the reduction in a claimant's workers' compensation rate should be based on a full-time job representative of jobs found for claimant, rather than on a part-time position found for claimant.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association - Workers' Compensation Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association - Workers' Compensation Section
- Admitted to Practice in all Pennsylvania Courts; United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania; United States 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
Community Activities and Interests:
- Pro Bono Legal Advice - participated for many years in local TV station's program to provide free legal advice by phone.
- Church - lector at St. Gabriel Church in Whitehall.
- Music - played guitar in ACBA Bench-Bar show for over 25 years. Currently plays for various charitable events and plays with the St. Gabriel Contemporary Choir.
- Classic cars - displays classic cars at various events, including charitable fundraisers.
James B. Hudzik